Posted on: January 15, 2023
There is no doubt that self-care is an important part of life. Between family, careers, friendships, and the stressors of everyday life, taking some time to relax is a hard-to-come-by but much-needed necessity. Did you know that a simple trip to the beach could have immediate effects on your overall well-being? Join your friends at the Pauli Family Condos at Wailea as we explore just some of the health benefits of going to the beach.
Kahuna Nui Hale Kealohalani Makua – Love all you see, including yourself. -Hawaiian Proverb
A trip to the beach is more than just a vacation, it’s an investment in your health. Whether you’ve stepped foot on the shores of Maui before or it’s your first time, here are just a few of the amazing things you can expect:
Physical Benefits of the Beach
- Sand is a gentle natural exfoliant. A stroll along the beach will leave you with silky smooth feet that will look great in your favorite sandals.
- The ocean water has numerous skin and hair benefits. Filled with minerals like sodium and magnesium, the waves can help with acne, and psoriasis, remove impurities and exfoliate dead skin cells from your skin and scalp.
- Soaking in some sunshine gives your body the vitamin D it needs to keep your bones strong and give your immune system a boost. In fact, just 10-30 minutes of midday sun will give you a day’s worth of vitamin D!
Mental Benefits of the Beach
- Everything from the color of the water to the sound of the waves is set to help you relax. Blues and greens are known to be calming while the repetitive motion of the water is meditative in nature.
- The smell of the ocean also works wonders for your mental well-being. Full of negative ions, the salty air has been shown in studies to actually help with your mood, including helping with seasonal affective disorder.
- There may even be a placebo effect happening to elevate your mood while at the beach. We are almost preprogrammed to think that being next to the ocean is relaxing and calming so it’s easier to feel those mental benefits while you’re there.
Emotional Benefits of the Beach
- Being at the beach has been shown to lower your stress hormones, giving you the time you need to reboot and refocus your energy.
- Unplugging from your everyday life can give you a much-needed break from the internal dialogue that keeps you down. A trip to the beach can give your self-esteem a boost and lower cortisol levels.
Spiritual Benefits of the Beach
- There are numerous benefits to being in nature. Connecting with the earth in a new way can help you find your center so that you are better able to focus on your spirituality.
- Slowing down while you’re on vacation also gives you the opportunity to be aware of the beauty around you. It gives you a second chance to be grateful for all that the world has to offer.
No matter what your motivation is for visiting the beach, the warm sand and calming waves will always be here to welcome you. If you’re ready to take your health into your own hands and go to Maui, your friends at the Pauli Family Condos at Wailea are ready to assist. From luxurious accommodations to the best recommendations on the island, our team is here to help you have the vacation of your dreams.