Posted on: August 14, 2018
One of the more frequent questions I get asked is, “Where to Grocery Shop on South Maui?” There are several options as you can imagine on Maui. From CostCo and Whole Foods, to smaller chains and local shops, not too mention there are some grocery delivery services as well.
If you are staying in a condo while on your visit to South Maui, it is a great idea to take a trip to the grocery store once you get in from the airport. This way, you can stock up on snacks for the beach, breakfast foods, fresh fruit and seafood, lunch meat, cheeses, drinks and even meat to grill at your condo if you wish to stay in for dinner and soak up some time at your lanai.
We recommend making at least one big grocery store visit at the beginning of your trip, as planning in advance can help save time and money as you enjoy beautiful Maui! There are plenty of places to stop as you need just a few things, as well. Most condo goers will have check-in times in the mid-afternoon, so if your flight arrives late morning this is a perfect time to hit the store.
Top Grocery Stores in South Maui
1. Our go-to for bigger grocery trips is Safeway. Safeway is a longtime supermarket chain carrying brand-name and house-label groceries, plus a deli, bakery and more. It is located in the Piilani Village Shopping Center at 277 Piikea Ave, Kihei, HI 96753. Another plus is the fact Safeway is open 24 hours and has a pharmacy. Drive time from Ekahi Village: 12 minutes (4.5 miles).
2. Another bigger grocery store in the area is Foodland in Kihei. Foodland is open from 5 am to 12 am daily and is located at 1881 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753. There are weekly specials and dedicated bakery, deli, meat and seafood departments. Pro Tip: Sign up for their discount card: The Makika’i Card. Drive time from Ekahi Village: 8 minutes (depends on South Kihei Road traffic) just 3 miles away.
3. One of our very favorite places to go is the newer Island Gourmet Markets, also located within The Shops of Wailea. You can visit the market if you are looking for a quick breakfast or lunch, or food on the go. The market has an amazing fresh selection, including poke and pineapple – you don’t want to miss out on either one! Owned by the ABC Store group you can also find some souvenirs here as well. Another plus, just 1/2 mile from Ekahi Village.
4. For more snack and local foods, as well as souvenirs to take home, check out any ABC Store. They are located across the island, with a South Maui location within The Shops of Wailea.
5. Maui does have a Costco, and it is rumored to be one of the highest volume stores in their chain (and the lines on the weekend back this up). You can get some good deals on bulk items and their Poke is good! Perfect if you’re having a big party or plan to be on island for awhile. You can also find some good beach chairs, umbrellas and often other items on discount. It’s located by the Airport and a good 1st stop on your way to Wailea. Drive Time: 25 minutes (15 miles).
Any of the stores mentioned above carry the best beer on island, Maui Brewing Company. Make sure to crack a Bikini Blonde! On a side note, if you like brew pubs, you need to stop by their Kihei Location. The food is great, and the beer is tasty as well. Don’t forget to check out our favorite restaurants page for more great ideas.
We hope this is a helpful guide to grocery shopping on South Maui. Enjoy! Mahalo!