Posted on: February 14, 2016
One of the perks to staying in a vacation rental condo is having a kitchen. While you probably don’t intend to do a lot of cooking on vacation, it is nice to have the option of preparing some meals at the condo, having snacks for you and the kids, cold drinks, or even the fixings for your beach picnic. Not too mention this is a great way to save money.
But the question then becomes, Where to buy groceries in South Maui?
Maui maybe small, but we do have a several options.
- Grocery buying service. Yes, this is a nice option for some day 1 foods or drinks if you are flying in late. Our concierge can buy groceries for you.
- Costco. Maui has one located near the airport in Kahului. If I get in mid-day I often stop here to buy some things I know I’ll go through (Ahi poke, soda, beer and POG) but will you be able to finish all that food you buy in bulk?
- Whole Foods. This high end organic grocery store can also be found in Kahului. 70 Kaahumanu Ave #B in the Maui Mall
- Safeway. Located along the Pi’ilani Hwy. This is the largest grocery store in Kihei. They are known for their $5 Friday deals and arguably have the best bakery section in a grocery store. Consider signing up for a free Safeway membership to take advantage of savings (if you already have one, bring your card or your phone number and they can look you up at the register). Several years ago I ran into Steven Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith here – that was fun! He’s really short!
- Times Supermarket. On South Kihei Road across from St Theresa’s Catholic Church. Times Super Market is a Hawaiian-Islands based grocery chain. They typically have the best prices on fruit.
- Foodland. Across from Kalama Park. Foodland is also a Hawaiian-Islands based grocery chain. They are known for their local-style food and have the best poke (raw marinated fish) in a grocery store. They also have a free membership program (Makai card) to get extra discount – sign up for this card!
- Kihei also has a natural food store, Hawaiian Moons, located along South Kihei Road in Kamaole Beach Center (by Kamaole II beach). They are known for their salad and hot bar.
- Farmer’s Markets. There are three in Kihei:
- Next to the Sugar Beach ABC store in North Kihei
- Aloha Market Place – there are two different vendors, Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri there is an organic vendor at this location, Wed/Sat is Rowena’s Produce (mainly non-organic)
- Lipoa Street Farmer’s Market (in the Fabiani’s parking lot) – Saturday mornings only.
- Late 2015 Wailea got a tiny grocery store/deli at the Shops at Wailea called the Island Gourmet Markets. This is part of the ABC store family. It has a great deli department with to-go meals, great for a picnic at the beach, or a ready-made meal.
- The last option would be the “convenience store.” There are many ABC Stores and Whaler’s General Markets throughout Maui. A good place to grab a small quick quantity, but not as economical as a grocery store.